Quota row: Beni Prasad files reply to EC
New Delhi: Congress leader and Union Steel Minister Beni Prasad Verma on Monday replied to the Election Commission notice for violating the model code of conduct.
‘I respect the Election Commission and will adhere to its instruction in this case,” Verma said while replying to reporters.
The poll panel had issued a show cause notice to the Steel Minister seeking his explanation on his controversial minority sub-quota remarks latest by the evening today.
The notice was issued after the election watchdog went through the video footage of the election rally where Beni is said to have made the quota remarks.
The Election Commission had taken serious note of his comments, particularly for daring the poll body to take action against him.
Verma landed in a soup for his remarks, “Muslims don`t have their homes; they don`t have jobs and 70 percent of them work as labourers. Non-Congress governments in the state have not done anything for their betterment.”
"We will make sure that quota for them is increased if the Congress comes to power in Uttar Pradesh," he said while addressing a political rally at Kayamganj Assembly constituency in the Farrukhabad district last wek.
Beni Prasad is the second Congress minister to have faced the EC ire over the quota remarks.
Union Law Minister Salman Khurshid had recently caused a huge furore when he promised a 9% Muslim sub-quota if the Congress won the elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA