Quote PAN, or else pay 20% tax: Taxmen to contractors
New Delhi: Not quoting the permanent account number (PAN) can cost the contractors and sub-contractors dear, as the budget proposal of taxing them at up to 20 percent instead of 1-2 percent comes into effect from Tuesday.
The provision, made in budget 2009-10, is applicable from today and is aimed at plugging the loopholes leading to tax evasion and compelling more and more people to obtain PAN.
At present, contractors and sub-contractors pay TDS (tax deducted at source) in the range of 1 to 2 percent only. From today, income tax authorities could impose up to 20 percent on tax liability them, if they do not provide the PAN, Finance Ministry sources said.
The Ministry sources pointed out that in such a scenario, many small contractors and sub-contractors, who usually don`t furnish their PAN, would go unviable, forcing them to fall in line, the sources said.
Also, those who earn interest income from banks would also be required to furnish their PAN from today. Similarly, provision is applicable on royalty or technical fees paid by Indians to non-residents, which attract tax of around 10 percent at present.
These provisions would help in detecting tax evasion. Currently, only 3.3 crore people are under the income tax net because of massive non-reporting and underreporting of income and exemption.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days