Quote PAN, or else pay 20% tax: Taxmen to contractors
New Delhi: Not quoting the permanent account number (PAN) can cost the contractors and sub-contractors dear, as the budget proposal of taxing them at up to 20 percent instead of 1-2 percent comes into effect from Tuesday.
The provision, made in budget 2009-10, is applicable from today and is aimed at plugging the loopholes leading to tax evasion and compelling more and more people to obtain PAN.
At present, contractors and sub-contractors pay TDS (tax deducted at source) in the range of 1 to 2 percent only. From today, income tax authorities could impose up to 20 percent on tax liability them, if they do not provide the PAN, Finance Ministry sources said.
The Ministry sources pointed out that in such a scenario, many small contractors and sub-contractors, who usually don`t furnish their PAN, would go unviable, forcing them to fall in line, the sources said.
Also, those who earn interest income from banks would also be required to furnish their PAN from today. Similarly, provision is applicable on royalty or technical fees paid by Indians to non-residents, which attract tax of around 10 percent at present.
These provisions would help in detecting tax evasion. Currently, only 3.3 crore people are under the income tax net because of massive non-reporting and underreporting of income and exemption.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly