Radwanska wins Mercury Insurance Open
California: Poland`s Agnieszka Radwanska beat top seed Vera Zvonareva in the final of the Mercury Insurance Open to clinch her first title in over three years.
Despite being hindered by a nerve problem in her right shoulder, the world number 13 won 6-3 6-4 in Carlsbad, California to secure her fifth career title.
Top seed Vera Zvonareva met third seed Agnieszka Radwanska in the final of the Mercury Insurance Open in Carlsbad, California on Sunday.
Radwanska dropped the first set in both her previous matches, but she gained the first break of the match to go into a 3-1 lead.
Despite suffering from a nerve problem in her right shoulder which limited the speed of her serve, the Pole consolidated that break and went on to take the first set 6-3.
Radwanska broke again early in the second set and, in the face of some hard-hitting from her Russian opponent, a fine half-volley saw her go 3-1 ahead.
Zvonareva had won both her two previous finals of the year, but she could not find any sort of rhythm on her returns.
The 22-year-old will go up one place to 12 in Monday`s new world rankings, four spots below her career-high achieved in February last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- OMG! Hilarious bomb scare prank – Must Watch
- South Africa vs New Zealand, 2nd Test: Steyn, Philander strike after du Plessis ton as Proteas take control on Day 2
- Rio Olympics medallist Sakshi Malik to tie the knot soon: Report
- MPCA to decide on holding elections in Monday's AGM
- The solar system is home to millions of Jupiter-like planets, reveals NASA!