Radwanska wins Mercury Insurance Open
California: Poland`s Agnieszka Radwanska beat top seed Vera Zvonareva in the final of the Mercury Insurance Open to clinch her first title in over three years.
Despite being hindered by a nerve problem in her right shoulder, the world number 13 won 6-3 6-4 in Carlsbad, California to secure her fifth career title.
Top seed Vera Zvonareva met third seed Agnieszka Radwanska in the final of the Mercury Insurance Open in Carlsbad, California on Sunday.
Radwanska dropped the first set in both her previous matches, but she gained the first break of the match to go into a 3-1 lead.
Despite suffering from a nerve problem in her right shoulder which limited the speed of her serve, the Pole consolidated that break and went on to take the first set 6-3.
Radwanska broke again early in the second set and, in the face of some hard-hitting from her Russian opponent, a fine half-volley saw her go 3-1 ahead.
Zvonareva had won both her two previous finals of the year, but she could not find any sort of rhythm on her returns.
The 22-year-old will go up one place to 12 in Monday`s new world rankings, four spots below her career-high achieved in February last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof