Rahul Bajaj differs with son over exiting scooter segment
New Delhi: Bajaj Auto chairman Rahul Bajaj is not too happy with his son`s decision to phase out the company`s iconic scooters, but feels the decision of Rajiv Bajaj will be in the interest of the company at large.
"I am not convinced phasing out scooters is the right solution. I differ with Rajiv`s judgement, even if it may be better. I feel bad and hurt that a brand like Bajaj scooters is out," Rahul Bajaj said in an interview to NDTV.
"I can`t harm the company, its shareholders and employees. The emotional connect says do something to keep scooters going. There is a disconnect, difference of generation gap. Who knows tomorrow we may come back with a bang," says Rahul Bajaj.
Bajaj`s son Rajiv announced a few days ago that the company would totally hive-off the business that made "hamara Bajaj" a household name and concentrate on emerging as the largest producers of motorbikes in the world.
Rajiv has told NDTV that scooters was not a profitable space to be in anymore.
"People stopped buying scooters, so we stopped making them. I care less for solution from emotion and more for magic of logic. We may come back with a new category of scooters," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter