Rahul Mahajan becomes reality TV`s first `husband`
Mumbai: Rahul Mahajan`s hunt for a perfect
bride on TV is over as the reality show star picked up Bengali
girl Dimpy Ganguly to tie the knot in true Bollywood style.
Mahajan, who has had a troubled past with drug abuse
charges and an acrimonious marriage and divorce from childhood
friend Shweta Singh, hopes that it is a "happily ever after"
Mahajan chose 21-year-old Dimpy, a model and dancer,
over Nikunj Malik, 25, and Harpreet Chhabra, 20, on reality TV
show `Rahul Dulhaniya Le Jayega` broadcast by a private TV channel .
Rahul decided to go ahead with his wedding despite the
recent death of his uncle Praveen Mahajan, who was convicted
for killing his politician father Pramod Mahajan in 2006.
The Bengali-style wedding was held in a luxurious
Mumbai suburban hotel and the couple wore outfits designed by
famous fashion designers Ashley Rebello, Neeta Lulla and
34-year-old Rahul, who`s facing drug abuse charges,
had requested a Delhi court for releasing his passport so
that his wife and he could spend their honeymoon in Maldives.
"Its a great feeling. I am both excited and nervous. I
really believe marriages are made in heaven and this time I`ll
give whatever I have to make my wife happy. It is going to be
happily ever after," Rahul had said.
Dimpy, who was a favourite due to her "crackling
chemistry" with Rahul, said she was always confident of being
`Mrs Mahajan` as she knows how to handle the media better than
the other contestants.
"We both share a better chemistry and Rahul knows that
I am the most genuine out here. Moreover, since I am already a
known face in Kolkata I believe I can manage media attention
much better after becoming his wife," Dimpy said.
The 15 prospective brides were shortlisted from across
the length and breadth of the country through an extensive
audition process out of which Nikunj, Dimpy and Harpreet were
the top three finalists.
Rahul, who confessed about his "hardships" amid the
media glare after his father`s death, his involvement in drug
case and his divorce on the show, thinks that this time
marriage will bring love and stability which he always wanted.
"All the bad times are a thing of the past and I am not
going to let my past affect my present. I am ready to settle
down in life and finally be happy. I have gone through a lot
and now it is my time," he said.
The show, however, has had its share of controversies.
Businesswoman Maureen Wadia has slapped a show cause
notice on Dimpy for breaking an exclusive contract with
Gladrags and taking part in the reality show.
After the wedding, Rahul is ready to explore showbiz.
"Politics is in my blood but entertainment is my
livelihood. You don`t get paid that much as an MP. Showbiz is
a huge business and I am looking forward to exploring it. Be
it TV or films. Moreover it has a mass appeal and gives me an
opportunity to get connected with people," said Rahul, who has
appeared in reality TV shows like `Bigg Boss 2` and `Chotte
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city