Rahul set to woo Muslim votes at Kanpur rally
Kanpur: In a bid to woo minority community voters, Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi will address a rally in the Muslim-dominated Chamanganj area on Sunday.
The area has three Vidhan Sabha seats and is yet to be visited by any major political leader. The Muslim vote is the decisive factor in Aryanagar, Sisamau and Cantt seats.
Sixteen percent of the voters in the city belonged to the minority community.
Exuding confidence that the rally will be huge success, Union Minister and Kanpur MP Shriprakash Jaiswal said the party will win all the five seats in Kanpur.
Congress leaders are hoping that Rahul`s roadshow on February 20 that passes through several Muslim majority areas will attract maximum voters.
Meanwhile, the venue of the rally at the Haleem college has been taken over by the SPG and local police and is being spruced up for the event.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Lalu Prasad Yadav challenges Narendra Modi over 'shaitan' comment, demands PM's apology
- Ghulam Ali concert row: Subramanian Swamy hits back at Shiv Sena's critics
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA