Rahul set to woo Muslim votes at Kanpur rally
Kanpur: In a bid to woo minority community voters, Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi will address a rally in the Muslim-dominated Chamanganj area on Sunday.
The area has three Vidhan Sabha seats and is yet to be visited by any major political leader. The Muslim vote is the decisive factor in Aryanagar, Sisamau and Cantt seats.
Sixteen percent of the voters in the city belonged to the minority community.
Exuding confidence that the rally will be huge success, Union Minister and Kanpur MP Shriprakash Jaiswal said the party will win all the five seats in Kanpur.
Congress leaders are hoping that Rahul`s roadshow on February 20 that passes through several Muslim majority areas will attract maximum voters.
Meanwhile, the venue of the rally at the Haleem college has been taken over by the SPG and local police and is being spruced up for the event.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra