Railways to build museum on Satyajit Ray
Kolkata: Indian Railways will build a museum housing rare films and memorabilia of legendary film-maker Satyajit Ray, it was announced here on Thursday.
The museum will be a part of the Satyajit Ray Railway Indoor Stadium, Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee said while laying the foundation of the stadium that she promised to develop as a world class sports complex at an investment of Rs 56 crore.
"The stadium will be converted into a world-class sports complex with an investment of Rs 56 crore. There will also be a museum which will showcase many rare films, songs, used articles and sports equipment of the late Satyajit Ray," Banerjee said.
"The stadium will have two separate areas for indoor and outdoor games and will be used for promoting sports and cultural activities," she added.
Former Indian cricket captain Sourav Ganguly was present on the occasion.
"I started using the ground regularly for practice nine years back when I was playing international cricket," Ganguly said, adding: "I am sure this stadium will help in shaping up the careers of many sportspersons."
He said job security was important in sports and hoped the railways would play an important role in providing jobs to players.
Besides Ganguly, India`s legendary athlete PT Usha, Ray`s son Sandip Roy - a noted film-maker - and other cultural luminaries like painter Subhaprasanna, actor Debashree Roy and footballer Sailen Manna were also present on the occasion.
Banerjee said the railways would run a train in November this year across the country to promote the importance of sports in the run up to the 2010 Commonwealth Games in New Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video