Raja rules out resignation over spectrum allocation scam
New Delhi: Telecom Minister A Raja
on Thursday night ruled out resignation in the wake of CBI searches in
his ministry in connection with the controversial spectrum
"The question of my resignation does not arise. All
decisions on spectrum licensing have been taken in accordance
with procedures laid down by TRAI and in consultations with
the Prime Minister," he told reporters late in the night.
Raja said nowhere has CBI pointed out that the
Minister has had a role in spectrum allotment, an issue that
is alleged to have caused a revenue loss of Rs 22,000 crore to
"I stand by my reply in Parliament and I have already
justified the major policy decisions," he said, adding that he
did not expect the BJP or for that matter AIADMK to support
him on the issue.
He was replying to a question about BJP`s demand for
his resignation in the wake of CBI conducting searches in the
Earlier in the day, the CBI conducted searches in the
offices of the wireless planning cell (WPC), the department
responsible for allocating spectrum, and the office of Deputy
Director General (Access Services).
Raja said the policy decision to issue licences to new
players to bring competition in the telecom sector was taken
as per the recommendation of the Telecom Regulatory Authority
of India (Trai) dated February 27, 2007.
The licences were issued on the principle of first
come first serve basis as had been followed since 1994 by all
his predecessors inherited from the basic licencing
conditions. The licences were issued for all operators.
So far as the licencing fee is concerned, these were
termed as entry fee by Trai since there is separate spectrum
"There was and there is a public notion that spectrum
charge and licence fee are one and the same since spectrum
charge is separate and licence fee was not revised by Trai in
2007 and as a matter of fact last month in the EGoM met on the
3G," he said.
Raja said that he has come to know that a case has
been registered by CBI against officials of his ministry.
"For any procedural deviation or favouritism under
this policy decision has to be dealt with by the investigating
agency and the concerned officer will have to cooperative with
the investigating officer," he said.
Raja debunked reports that there was a raid in his
ministry and that officers had come only to look into
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department