Ramesh Kumar creates history; wins bronze
New Delhi: India`s Ramesh Kumar created
history by winning the bronze medal in the freestyle 74kg
category at the World Wrestling Championship in Herning,
The Uttar Pradesh wrestler did what Beijing Olympic
bronze medallist Sushil Kumar failed to achieve, clinching
India`s first medal in the prestigious event after a gap of 32
Kumar defeated Alexandr Burca of Moldova on technical
points after the repechage round ended with both the wrestlers
tied at the score of 7-7 last night.
Kumar, however, started the bout on a disappointing note,
trailing 0-3 after the first period.
He then came back strongly in the second session to score
two points and then finished off the final period picking up
five points as against his opponent`s four to finally come out
victorious on technical points.
Kumar had earlier defeated Dustin Schlatter of the US 3-2
in the opening round. His next casualty was Great Britain`s
Michael Grundy, whom he beat 4-2 and then prevailed over Kiril
Terziev of Bulgaria 7-4 in the quarterfinal.
Kumar, however, lost out on the gold medal opportunity,
going down 0-5 to Chamsulvara Chamsulvarayev of Azerbaijan in
the last-four stage to set up a repechage encounter against
The gold in this category was won by Denis Tsargush of
Earlier, Olympic bronze medallist Sushil Kumar failed to
replicate boxer Vijender Singh`s feat and lost out on a medal
opportunity in the elite event after losing the bronze medal
play-off match in the 66kg freestyle category on Tuesday.
Meanwhile, in the female style, India`s Nirmala Devi
lost in the opening round of the 48kg category to Great
Britain`s Yana Stadnik, while Babita Kumari bowed out in the
quarterfinal against Natalia Budu of Moldova in 51kg division.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal