Ramesh Kumar returns home to a hero`s welcome
New Delhi: World Wrestling Championship
bronze-medallist Ramesh Kumar returned home to a tumultuous
welcome in the wee hours at the Indira Gandhi International
Airport here today.
The Haryana grappler was received by officials and
garlanded amid hundreds of people who had gathered at the IGI
"This is a great day for Indian wrestling. I`m happy my
hard work has paid off and I am sure the future of Indian
wrestling will be brighter in the coming days," Ramesh said.
Ramesh defeated Alexandr Burca of Moldova in 74kg
category to become the first Indian in 42 years to clinch a
freestyle medal in world championship at Herning, Denmark.
Vishambhar Singh was the last Indian wrestler who bagged
a freestyle silver medal in the 1967 World Championship.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Leander Paes, Sania Mirza advance at US Open
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- Yakub Memon, Afzal Guru's executions were politically motivated: Justice AP Shah
- OROP stalemate to end soon, Govt's draft agreement ready, claim sources
- Roger Federer cleans court by removing bottles, towels left by other players