Rane to oppose Chavan as CM?
Mumbai: The Congress Legislature Party (CLP) is meeting here on Saturday to elect its new leader to be sworn in as the next chief minister of Maharashtra, but the process is expected to get delayed with several contenders in the fray for the post.
While incumbent Ashok Chavan is believed to be the frontrunner, reports now suggest that Narayan Rane – Industries Minister in the last government – is likely to oppose Chavan’s candidature at the CLP meet.
As per unconfirmed reports, Narayan Rane is claiming to have support of over 60 MLAs and will gun for the CLP leader’s post when the newly elected Congress MLAs meet later today.
Rane’s claim is likely to make things complicated and the Congress observers may be forced to hold voting to elect the leader, as against the convention of MLAs supporting the Congress president’s decision by a voice vote.
The CLP meeting will be held in the presence of AICC observers – Defence Minister AK Antony, who is Congress general secretary in charge of Maharashtra, Deputy Chairman of Rajya Sabha K Rehman Khan and senior leader Digvijay Singh.
However, Congress sources insisted that party president still to take a final call on the matter.
Union Minister Gurudas Kamat is also among the hopefuls for the CM`s post. Former CMs and Union Ministers Vilasrao Deshmukh and Sushil Kumar Shinde, were also thought be interested to get back to Mantralaya, but now have ruled themselves out of the race.
The Congress, with 82 seats, emerged as the single largest party and its ally NCP pocketed 62 seats in the 288-member House in the recently concluded Assembly Elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town