Rangarajan calls for divestment roadmap
New Delhi: The Prime Minister`s Economic Advisory Council (PMEAC) Chairman C Rangarajan on Wednesday said the government should draw up a roadmap for divesting its stake in
"I would only say that the government should identify the
companies where disinvestment is possible and have a phased
programme of two to three years," Rangarajan told a news agency today.
He further said that it is not good to divest stakes in
all the probable CPSUs in a single year as the market may not
be able to absorb it.
Rangarajan further said that though divestment depends on
the stock markets and valuation of the companies, a programme
can be drawn in a manner in which a proportion can be decided
for each company and the shares can be sold thereafter.
Earlier last month, the disinvestment department had
said there were 60 Central PSUs, including SAIL, BSNL and Coal
India, eligible for selloff as per a decision by the Cabinet.
"We are in interaction on a large number of these 60
companies with their administrative ministries... We are in
interactions with the steel ministry for SAIL, with the coal
ministry for Coal India. On BSNL also, we are talking to the
IT and communications ministry," Disinvestment Secretary Sunil
Mitra had said.
However, he refused to set a time-frame for the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video