Rani, Savita to receive grants from GoSports Foundation
Bangalore: Financial help continues to pour on the country`s women hockey players as the GoSports Foundation announced a monthly grant of Rs 4000 each for two members of the national team -- Rani Rampal and Savita Poonia.
"The grant, which will award 15-year-old Rani Rampal and 19-year-old Savita Poonia a monthly amount of Rs 4000 each, is a testament to the girls` perseverance and determination to succeed against all odds," a release said.
Forward Rampal, daughter of a cart puller, was the top scorer and adjudged the Young Player of the Tournament at the Champion`s Challenge trophy held in Kazan, Russia last year.
The Haryana girl also played a pivotal role in the team winning silver medal at the Asia Cup in last November.
"I am very happy with the good news. It will help me buy better shoes and kit to improve my game. I will also use this assistance for my education," Rampal said.
Her statemate goalkeeper Poonia said, "I am thrilled to receive this support and fund. It will help me achieve my goals and has created within me an even greater desire to succeed."
National women`s coach M K Kaushik also hailed the move.
"Rani and Savita are young and upcoming players with great skills and great character for the game. They are the future of the country and need to be nurtured well," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- When Indrani Mukerjea broke down on meeting her daughter Vidhie