Rape claim can be rejected if allegations defy logic: SC
New Delhi: The Supreme Court has held
that though the testimony of a rape victim has to be given a
predominant consideration, the same can be discarded if the
allegations are found to be improbable and defies logic.
"It is true that in a case of rape, the evidence of
the prosecutrix (victim) must be given predominant
consideration but to hold that this evidence has to be
accepted even if the story is improbable and belies logic
would be doing violence to the very principles which govern
the appreciation of evidence in a criminal matter," the apex
A bench of Justices H S Bedi and Aftab Alam made the
remarks while acquitting Tameezuddin who was convicted and
sentenced to seven years imprisonment for raping a housewife
in Delhi on September 28, 1995. The Delhi High Court had
confirmed the conviction and sentence, after which Tameezuddin
appealed in the apex court.
In the appeal, the convict took the plea that the
medical doctor Charu Lata, who examined the alleged victim,
had found no evidence of rape or any injury on her person. The
laborartory report had, however, revealed the presence of
semen on the vaginal swab and the salwar worn by the victim.
The testimony of certain witnesses were also
unreliable, he submitted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt