Rathore wins double trap gold in shooting nationals
New Delhi: Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore won the double trap gold medal but there was disappointment for world record holder Ronjan Sodhi on the first day of the
National Shooting Championships that got underway at the Karni Singh Shooting Range here on Tuesday.
The Athens Olympics silver medallist, representing Army, shot 138 in qualification and 42 in the final to clinch the yellow metal, while Delhi’s Vikram Bhatnagar won the silver medal with scores of 131 and 43. Uttar Pradesh’s Mohd Asab bagged the bronze medal after he shot 138 and 39.
For Sodhi however, things didn’t pan out the way he would have expected. A fourth-place finish with scores of 131 and 43 was not exactly what the Guangzhou Asian Games gold medallist was expecting.
There was double delight for Bihar’s Shreyasi Singh who won the senior as well as junior national meet after she aggregated 90 and 14, respectively.
The year’s first major competition, this championship gains significance as the scores here will become the base for the selection of future teams, as per the new shot gun policy formulated by the National Rifle Association of India (NRAI).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics