RBI hints at tightening money supply to curb inflation
Bangalore: Concerned over the spiralling food prices, the Reserve Bank has indicated at tightening money supply to contain the rising inflation pressures.
"Effective assessment of the inflation process, and using monetary policy actions at the right time would be critical to enhance the effectiveness of the inflation management policy,” RBI Deputy Governor Shyamala Gopinath said while addressing the Bangalore Chamber of Industry and Commerce here on Monday.
She further said there is a risk of high inflation in essential commodities affecting inflation expectations over time and give rise to generalised inflation. "Given the dominance of food price inflation in shaping the overall course of the inflation path, the policy challenge is to address the supply constraints," Gopinath added.
The Reserve Bank is slated to come out with the third quarter review of its monetary policy on January 29 amid intense speculations that it may signal an interest hike to tighten money supply to contain the rising inflation.
The food inflation was nearly 19 per cent last week while the overall wholesale price inflation rose massively to 4.78 per cent in November compared to 1.34 per cent in October.
The deputy governor further said the near-term policy challenges are clearly conditioned by the evolving growth-inflation outcome that supports shifting the balance of policy focus on managing the recovery and on containment of inflation.
Early this month, Prime Minister`s Economic Advisory Council chairman C Rangarajan had said food price must be controlled by monetary action as it is tended to lead to manufacturing inflation.
However, the Government maintains that food-price inflation cannot be tackled by monetary and other policy steps. "Food inflation is a larger part of the inflation now...therefore not much can be done by policy instruments," Finance Secretary Ashok Chawla had said.
Gopinath also said the overall business confidence has improved significantly, besides the industrial and overall recovery in growth.
"While capital inflows have resumed after the period of net outflows in the second half of 2008-09, there is a perception that the country may experience surges in capital inflows again, because of easy global liquidity conditions and our superior growth prospects in the global economy," she added.
She also said as the domestic recovery gains further momentum and sustainability, returning to the fiscal consolidation path will be critical to contain the constraints to higher growth rate.
After registering nine per cent GDP growth rate in the three preceding years, the economy could manage only 6.7 per cent last fiscal. However, in the second quarter of this fiscal, the economy logged in a smart 7.9 per cent growth, beating analysts, compared to just 6.1 per cent in the first quarter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt