RCOM Q2 net down 52% to Rs 740 cr
New Delhi: Anil Ambani Group firm Reliance
Communications Ltd on Saturday reported 51.66 percent decline in
its consolidated profit at Rs 740 crore for the second quarter
of the fiscal due to provisions for foreign exchange
fluctuation or derivative losses.
The company had consolidated net profit of Rs 1,531 crore
in the same quarter last fiscal.
"Profit after tax would have been higher at Rs 1,023
crore but for provision of foreign exchange or derivatives
mark-to-market losses of Rs 283 crore," the company said in a
"These losses stand fully recovered, based on subsequent
favourable exchange rate movements," it added.
"In the near-term, the wireless sector in India is
undergoing a challenging phase, with increased competitive
intensity and continuing aggressive re balancing of mobile
tariffs by all leading players," RCOM Chairman Anil Ambani
"We believe a forward-looking and conducive regulatory
framework by TRAI and DoT which is already under
consideration, to facilitate market-driven industry
consolidation will be a strong enabler to protect and create
long-term value for all stakeholders," he said.
The company`s consolidated revenue increased to Rs 5,703
crore in the quarter under review from Rs 5,645 crore in the
For the six-month period ended September, 2009, RCOM`s
consolidated net profit dropped to Rs 2,376.88 crore from Rs
3,042.93 crore, according to filing to the Bombay Stock
Exchange by the company.
Consolidated net income from operations rose to Rs
11,339.20 crore for the half-year from Rs 10,765.03 crore for
the same period last fiscal.
With a customer base of 92 million, including over 2.5
million individual overseas retail customers, the company
ranks among the top five telecom providers in the world by the
number of customers in a single country, it said.
Reliance Communications corporate clientele includes
2,100 Indian and multinational corporations apart from over
800 global, regional and domestic carriers.
Shares of the company closed at Rs 175.95, down 7.37 percent from the previous close on the BSE.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!