Real dismiss Valdano in victory for Mourinho
Madrid: Real Madrid fired Jorge Valdano as director general Wednesday in what was seen as a victory for coach Jose Mourinho who had repeatedly clashed with the former Argentine international last season.
Real Madrid president Florentino Perez said Valdano`s position would be terminated as part of a restructuring aimed at giving the club a more "English" style that would grant Mourinho more autonomy over decision-making.
Perez dismissed media reports that the Portuguese coach had demanded that Valdano be dismissed as a condition for his staying on at the club.
"Mourinho did not make any demands. He asked for more autonomy in line with how English clubs are organised," he told a hastily-convened news conference following a meeting of the club`s board of directors.
"There were two people with a strong sports character and the harmony that needs to exist was lacking. You were all witnesses of this over the past season. There was a clear dysfunction that needed to be resolved."
Valdano reportedly opposed the appointment of Mourinho in May 2010 but was overruled by Perez, who believed the Portuguese coach has what it takes to end Barcelona`s domination.
He has a long record of criticising Mourinho`s style of football in his newspaper columns and television, even long before the Portuguese manager took the reins at the Bernabeu.
In 2008 Valdano wrote that "Mourinho has a flitting charisma that doesn`t really know what it represents.
In January Valdano, 55, angered Mourinho, 48, by appearing to question the coach`s decision to leave French striker Karim Benzema on the bench during Real`s 1-1 draw at Almeria.
"I hope Benzema does not stay on the bench for too long. The situation surrounding him is unfair," he said at the time.
When asked about Valdano`s comments, Mourinho shot back: "I pick the team and if I need any help then I have my coaching staff."
Valdano, a former player and coach at Real, had seen the his role at the club and his access to the first team reduced as the season advanced. By the end of the season he was travelling separately from the squad.
He said he had not spoken to Mourinho beyond a polite greeting "for some time" and had asked to meet with the Portuguese coach and Perez to clear the air "but apparently this was not possible".
"When sensibilities are so different, it does not take long for differences to appear," he told a separate news conference at Real`s Bernabeu stadium from the one granted by Perez.
"I don`t know what was Mourinho`s intention, I know that I made an effort all season to reduce the noise. I am leaving with the sadness of someone who has come and gone from the club for nothing less than 27 years."
Valdano is a key figure in Real`s recent history, having been a striker in the 1980s and coach of the club`s first team in the 1990s, winning the 1994-95 league title.
He served as sporting director under Perez between 2000 and 2004. He returned to Real to occupy the post of director general in June 2009.
Nicknamed "The Philosopher of Football", he was part of the Argentine squad that won the 1986 World Cup.
Spanish media reported that Real would have to pay Valdano around five million euros in severance pay for the termination of the remaining two years of his contract.
Perez refused to comment when asked how much Valdano`s departure would cost the club.
Mourinho guided Real to its first King`s Cup win in 18 years but the club finished second to Barcelona in La Liga for the third straight season and it was defeated by the Catalan side in the Champions League semifinals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India