Real suffer Cup humbling at third-tier Alcorcon
Madrid: Real Madrid suffered an astonishing 4-0 defeat at third-tier side Alcorcon in the King`s Cup on Tuesday, humiliated in the first leg by a club with a budget more than 400 times smaller than the La Liga giants.
Real were missing their two most expensive signings, Cristiano Ronaldo and Kaka, as well as several other key players, but were undone by a club with a 1.1 million euro (USD 1.6 million) annual budget compared to Real`s 420 million.
It was the third defeat in five matches for Manuel Pellegrini`s side and piled more pressure on the Chilean coach after Saturday`s 0-0 draw at Sporting Gijon and last week`s 3-2 home defeat to AC Milan in the Champions League.
"It`s an embarrassment, I have no explanation," Pellegrini said at a news conference after the last-32 clash.
"When you lose like that there is not much to say. Sometimes in the Cup you think that your weaker opponent is easily beaten and until you lose you don`t take them seriously."
Pressed about his future, he added: "I have never thought about, I am not thinking about, and I will not think about, resigning."
A fired-up Alcorcon, who play in the same league as Real`s youth team Castilla, laid siege to the visitors` goal in the frantic early stages of the last-32 clash, forcing Jerzy Dudek into a couple of smart saves with shots from distance.
Former Real youth player Borja Gomez gave Alcorcon a shock lead in the 16th minute when he cut in from the right and curled a precise shot into the bottom left corner.
Spain defender Alvaro Arbeloa inexplicably clipped the ball into his own net six minutes later before Fernando Bejar headed against Dudek`s left post.
Ernesto Gomez made it three five minutes before the break, sidefooting home Diego Cascon`s cross from the right, and Borja pounced on a loose ball to make it four in the 52nd minute.
Pellegrini replaced Raul with Ruud van Nistelrooy with just under 20 minutes left as Real searched desperately for a goal.
Alcorcon keeper Juanma palmed the Dutchman`s shot on to a post with four minutes remaining but Real were unable to find a goal ahead of the second leg at the Bernabeu in two weeks.
Real director general Jorge Valdano apologised to the Madrid fans for the side`s woeful display.
"It`s difficult and I know how the Madrid supporters must be feeling," he said on the club`s website.
"We have to take it as a lesson in humility that must serve as a starting point for a fresh beginning.”
"We must stick together, and when I say together I am also thinking about the coach."
Real president Florentino Perez, who spent 250 million euros on players in the close season, was watching from the stands at Alcorcon`s tiny stadium south west of the Spanish capital, which had its capacity boosted to 4,500 from 3,000 for the match.
In other Cup first legs on Tuesday, Quique Sanchez Flores marked his debut as Atletico Madrid coach with a 2-0 win at third-tier Marbella and Sevilla won 4-2 at Atletico Ciudad.
Another Segunda B side, Cultural Leonesa, play host to holders and La Liga leaders Barcelona on Wednesday (2100 GMT), while last year`s finalists Athletic Bilbao visit second division Rayo Vallecano (1900).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly