Reallocation of Jones` medals to be fast-tracked
New York: The reallocation of US sprinter Marion Jones`s five medals from the Sydney 2000 Olympics will be speeded up to put an end to the case that has dragged on for years, the IOC said on Friday.
Jones was stripped of the 100, 200 and 4x400 metres relay gold medals and her long jump and 4x100 bronzes in 2007 after she admitted to doping but so far none of the other athletes in those events have been upgraded.
"We have decided this morning to speed up that process as soon as possible," International Olympic Committee President Jacques Rogge told reporters.
"The IOC has not come up today with a final response for a number of reasons."
An appeal by several of Jones` relay team mates, who were stripped of their medals because of her doping, was still pending at the Court of Arbitration for Sport while the US investigation into the laboratory linked with the sprinter was also ongoing, Rogge added.
Rogge said Pauline Davis-Thompson, who won the 200 metres silver in Sydney and now stands to be upgraded to gold, had participated in Friday`s meeting with the IOC and the International Association of Athletics Federations.
"We think by October we will have some news on this," IAAF chief Lamine Diack said.
The other dilemma facing the IOC is whether to award Greece`s Katerina Thanou the 100 gold from Sydney after she was banned for anti-doping rule violations at the 2004 Athens Games and was barred from competing in last year`s Beijing Olympics for bringing the movement into disrepute.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks