Reallocation of Jones` medals to be fast-tracked
New York: The reallocation of US sprinter Marion Jones`s five medals from the Sydney 2000 Olympics will be speeded up to put an end to the case that has dragged on for years, the IOC said on Friday.
Jones was stripped of the 100, 200 and 4x400 metres relay gold medals and her long jump and 4x100 bronzes in 2007 after she admitted to doping but so far none of the other athletes in those events have been upgraded.
"We have decided this morning to speed up that process as soon as possible," International Olympic Committee President Jacques Rogge told reporters.
"The IOC has not come up today with a final response for a number of reasons."
An appeal by several of Jones` relay team mates, who were stripped of their medals because of her doping, was still pending at the Court of Arbitration for Sport while the US investigation into the laboratory linked with the sprinter was also ongoing, Rogge added.
Rogge said Pauline Davis-Thompson, who won the 200 metres silver in Sydney and now stands to be upgraded to gold, had participated in Friday`s meeting with the IOC and the International Association of Athletics Federations.
"We think by October we will have some news on this," IAAF chief Lamine Diack said.
The other dilemma facing the IOC is whether to award Greece`s Katerina Thanou the 100 gold from Sydney after she was banned for anti-doping rule violations at the 2004 Athens Games and was barred from competing in last year`s Beijing Olympics for bringing the movement into disrepute.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price