Record 90,000 entries for Nagpur Marathon
Nagpur: The second edition of the Nagpur International Marathon scheduled for January 31 has received a record 90,000 entries including 39 foreign athletes, making it the biggest marathon in the country, organisers said.
"Total prize money runs upto Rs 40 lakh in various categories and events include 42.195 KM full marathon, 21.097 KM half marathon for women, 12 KM open men, 10 KM open for women, 5 KM boys under 18, three KM girl under-18, wheel chair 3 KM and Ahinsa Doud of 5 KM," Vilas Muttemwar, former Union Minister and Nagpur MP told reporters.
He said foreign athletes were from Ethopia, Kenya and Tanzania and three of them Doublas Gwandaaruru, Philip Makau Muia (both Kenya) and Sara Bonefance Kavia (Tanzania) had participated last year of which Philips was the runner up.
"There are 10 female foreign atheletes," Convenor Babanrao Taiwade said adding these races will be conducted by about 2000 field and 1000 technical officials. The Chest numbers have also been issued to 5 kms Ahinsa Doud participants, the category which has the largest number of entries at 77,000.”
"Union Sports Minister M S Gill, state Home Minister R R Patil, former Test skipper Azharuddin, tennis star Sania Mirza, Ministers Nitin Raut, Anil Deshmukh, city Mayor Archana Dehankar would flag off the races from Kasturchand Park ground and end at Yeshwant Stadium in Dhantoli," Muttemwar added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday