Red Bull duo dominates fiery final Spanish practice
Barcelona: Red Bull`s Sebastian Vettel limbered up for what could be his sixth successive pole position with the fastest time in Spanish Grand Prix final practice on Saturday.
The Formula One world champion pushed Australian team mate Mark Webber off the top of the timesheets by 0.084 of a second despite only getting in one late flying lap due to problems with his car.
The lap of one minute 21.707 seconds at the Circuit de Catalunya was still by far the fastest of the weekend so far.
Webber, still seeking his first victory of the season after Vettel won three of the first four, had been quickest in both Friday sessions and had been comfortably on top until his team mate`s appearance.
Seven-times world champion Michael Schumacher, who has six Spanish GP wins from his glory years with Ferrari and Benetton, was third fastest but 1.350 off the pace in his Mercedes and ahead of McLaren`s Lewis Hamilton.
Ferrari`s Fernando Alonso was ninth after the governing FIA ruled his car`s new wing to be illegal, forcing the team to revert to the specification that took the Spaniard to third place in Turkey two weeks previously.
The double world champion also ended the session early with a suspected gearbox problem.
Renault`s Nick Heidfeld provided the morning`s drama when a sheet of flame erupted from the back of his car 25 minutes into the session and engulfed the rear end as the German stopped hurriedly by the side of the track.
Marshals extinguished the blaze as the driver leaped out, leaving his team`s mechanics with a race against time ahead of qualifying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- LinkedIn notifies data breach, alerts 400 mn members to stay safe
- Eating out, mobile bills, internet, travelling set to get costlier from June 1
- 7 hot tips to stay fit and healthy!
- Barack Obama lays wreath at Hiroshima Memorial, says death fell from the sky and the world changed
- North Korea slams Obama's 'childish' Hiroshima visit