Red Bull duo dominates fiery final Spanish practice
Barcelona: Red Bull`s Sebastian Vettel limbered up for what could be his sixth successive pole position with the fastest time in Spanish Grand Prix final practice on Saturday.
The Formula One world champion pushed Australian team mate Mark Webber off the top of the timesheets by 0.084 of a second despite only getting in one late flying lap due to problems with his car.
The lap of one minute 21.707 seconds at the Circuit de Catalunya was still by far the fastest of the weekend so far.
Webber, still seeking his first victory of the season after Vettel won three of the first four, had been quickest in both Friday sessions and had been comfortably on top until his team mate`s appearance.
Seven-times world champion Michael Schumacher, who has six Spanish GP wins from his glory years with Ferrari and Benetton, was third fastest but 1.350 off the pace in his Mercedes and ahead of McLaren`s Lewis Hamilton.
Ferrari`s Fernando Alonso was ninth after the governing FIA ruled his car`s new wing to be illegal, forcing the team to revert to the specification that took the Spaniard to third place in Turkey two weeks previously.
The double world champion also ended the session early with a suspected gearbox problem.
Renault`s Nick Heidfeld provided the morning`s drama when a sheet of flame erupted from the back of his car 25 minutes into the session and engulfed the rear end as the German stopped hurriedly by the side of the track.
Marshals extinguished the blaze as the driver leaped out, leaving his team`s mechanics with a race against time ahead of qualifying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now