‘Regional reservation for admissions should be scrapped`
Puducherry: Almost all political parties and students organisations have demanded scrapping of regional reservation in admissions to professional courses in government run institutions or those sponsored through societies by the administration here.
Students Federation of India and Puducherry Students Federation claim it favours those from Karaikal and other two regions of Mahe and Yanam, leaving students here high and dry.
An SFI spokesman said adoption of 18 per cent quota under regional reservation for students of Karaikal region and also four and three per cent for students of Mahe and Yanam regions was causing disharmony and aversion among students.
Political parties with regional units in Karaikal however argue that the reservation should continue without change.
The reservation has been upheld by the court on a petition a Students Parents Association filed some years ago.
A spokesman of Karaikal Struggle group welcomed it,saying the region was backward educationally and reservation was to enable students from backward district get admissions to professional courses and warned of intensified agitations if there was any move to disturb this reservation.
Congress, AIADMK, CPI(M), PMK, the NCP, DMK and other outfits like Federation of People`s Rights have demanded its withdrawal in the larger interests of unity among students.
Students Federation of Puducherry has announced that a 72 hour bandh would be observed here from July 10 to oppose regional reservation.
Students` outfits said counseling should take place only after scrapping the reservation. As Puducherry is a Union Territory it cannot take crucial policy decisions on its own and hence denial of reservation for students of Puducherry region is unconstitutional, they said.
The 75 per cent now available after culling out the quota to the Karaikal, Mahe and Yanam regions is left open for all, including those from the three regions.
The double benefit available to the three regions deprives students of Puducherry of any regional quota`, said a spokesman of the Federation of People`s rights.
He demanded that a high-level committee be formed and its recommendations accommodated in the legislation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune