Rehan and Dinesh hopeful of good show at Games
New Delhi: Ace swimmer Rehan Poncha and top boxer Dinesh Kumar today said getting the coveted Arjuna Award just a month before the Commonwealth Games has boosted their confidence for a good show at the mega event.
Rehan and Dinesh were among 15 sportspersons, who got Arjuna award for their consistent good performance in the last three years.
Dinesh, who won a gold at the Senior Commonwealth Boxing Championship this year, said it was a memorable moment of his career.
"Getting this award just ahead of Games has filled more enthusiasm in me to do well. It`s a confidence booster. We have been training hard at Patiala camp and I am sure we`ll do well at Games," Dinesh said.
The Haryana pugilist predicted that India will win at least five or six gold medals in the October Games.
"I have already practiced at the venue and we will be back here on September 15 or 16. I am confident we will four five gold medals.”
"Vijender, myself, Suranjoy and Nanao Singh stand a good chance. And Akhil or Jitender, whoever is picked as they are in same category, will also be a contender," he said.
Dinesh Kumar said his next target would be to get Khel Ratna.
"Vijender bhayee has got it. I will work harder and get it one day."
Rehan, who won a silver medal at the Asian Group Swimming Championships in 2009, said it was a proud moment for him.
"I am proud of being part of the group that got this award. It`s great feeling. Although swimming is an individual sport but team effort made it possible for me to do well. My coach Praveen Kumar has worked hard on me," Rehan said.
He said Talkatora was a luck venue for him and he is hoping to repeat his good show during Games.
"I have been training in Los Angeles for the last four months and the emphasis is on power and speed. Talkatora is lucky for me, I won my first national championship there and hopefully I will come good at Games also," he said.
However, Rehan was candid to say that it will be difficult to win medal in the presence of strong Australian challenge.
"Our medley relay is a strong team but in individual events it will be difficult but at least will make finals. Sandeep Sejwal, Virdhawal Khade are good and I am sure they will make finals," he said.
"In my 200m butterfly event, there will be three top Australian swimmers, but I have also improved and hopefully will do well," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail