Reliance Ind to end gas case argument by Oct 29
New Delhi: Energy major Reliance Industries will conclude initial arguments before the Supreme Court in a gas-pricing dispute with Reliance Natural Resources by October 29, a lawyer for the firm said.
Billionaire Mukesh Ambani-controlled Reliance Industries, India`s top conglomerate, is fighting with Reliance Natural, led by younger brother Anil Ambani, over the terms of a deal to sell gas to Reliance Natural at below the price set by the government.
The deal, part of a private family settlement under which the energy-to-telecoms Reliance empire was split between the brothers in 2005, has drawn in the government, unnerved investors, and could set the tone for the country`s policy on gas pricing and sales.
Reliance Industries has been presenting initial arguments in the case before the Supreme Court since on Tuesday, saying the private deal between the Ambani brothers is not binding on the company, and it can sell the gas only at the government-approved price.
Reliance Natural claims the contract is valid and wants the court to direct Reliance Industries to supply it with 28 million standard cubic metres a day (mmscmd) of gas for 17 years at almost half the government-set price of USD 4.2 per million metric British thermal unit (mmBtu).
Reliance Industries would finish its initial arguments by next Wednesday or Thursday, company lawyer Harish Salve told reporters.
A three-member court bench including Chief Justice K.G. Balakrishnan will subsequently hear arguments from Reliance Natural, following which it will consider a petition by the government to become a party to the dispute.
The government, which has the power to decide who can buy gas and at what price, had filed an application asserting it is the rightful owner of the disputed gas.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know