Relief for Nirupam in defamation case filed by Sunil Dutt
Mumbai: The metropolitan magistrate`s
court today dismissed Congress MP Priya Dutt`s application
seeking to make her a party in place of her late father Sunil
Dutt in the defamation case against Sanjay Nirupam.
Nirupam, now a Congress MP from Mumbai North, has said
during the 2004 Lok Sabha campaign (when he was with Shiv
Sena) that Sunil Dutt, a Congress MP, attended Parliament only
thrice in five years.
Dutt disputed this, saying that his attendance was good,
and Nirupam was lying. Dutt also filed a criminal defamation
case against Nirupam.
However, Dutt passed away while the matter was pending,
and Nirupam quit Shiv Sena to join Congress.
Dutt`s daughter Priya had said that she would pursue the
However, Bandra magistrate`s court today dismissed her
plea seeking to fight the case in her father`s place.
"With this, Mr Nirupam has been discharged," said his
lawyer Anjani Kumar Singh.
Priya`s lawyers, however said that they would file an
appeal against this order.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- WATCH: PRODIGY! This 11-year-old from Odisha slum will now train at Bayern Munich
- Turkey will give full support to operation to retake Syria's Jarablus from Islamic State: Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu
- WATCH: What is PV Sindhu's equation with Saina Nehwal? Her reply will surprise you
- Iraq executions carried out without proper trial, fuelled by vengeance: UN
- India to buy 500 helicopters, 12 submarines, over 200 fighter jets in next 10 years: Report