Remains of Jesus-era
Nazareth: Israeli archaeologists have
uncovered a home dating to the time of Jesus in the town of
Nazareth where he is said to have spent the better part of his
life, the antiquities authority said on Tuesday.
The remains were found near the Basilica of the
Annunciation, built on the ruins of three earlier churches on
the site where Christians believe Mary was told by the angel
Gabriel that she would give birth to Jesus.
"The discovery is of the utmost importance since it
reveals for the very first time a house from the Jewish
village of Nazareth and thereby sheds light on the way of life
at the time of Jesus," Yardenna Alexandre, who is heading
the excavation, said in a statement.
"The building that we found is small and modest, and it
is most likely typical of the dwellings in Nazareth in that
The discovery comes days before more than one billion
Western Christians celebrate Christmas in honour of the birth
of Jesus in a manger in Bethlehem, just south of Jerusalem.
He is believed to have spent most of his life in and
around the northern town of Nazareth, where Mary and her
husband Joseph lived.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP