Remains of Jesus-era
Nazareth: Israeli archaeologists have
uncovered a home dating to the time of Jesus in the town of
Nazareth where he is said to have spent the better part of his
life, the antiquities authority said on Tuesday.
The remains were found near the Basilica of the
Annunciation, built on the ruins of three earlier churches on
the site where Christians believe Mary was told by the angel
Gabriel that she would give birth to Jesus.
"The discovery is of the utmost importance since it
reveals for the very first time a house from the Jewish
village of Nazareth and thereby sheds light on the way of life
at the time of Jesus," Yardenna Alexandre, who is heading
the excavation, said in a statement.
"The building that we found is small and modest, and it
is most likely typical of the dwellings in Nazareth in that
The discovery comes days before more than one billion
Western Christians celebrate Christmas in honour of the birth
of Jesus in a manger in Bethlehem, just south of Jerusalem.
He is believed to have spent most of his life in and
around the northern town of Nazareth, where Mary and her
husband Joseph lived.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country