Reporter`s job 5th worst; software engineer`s best
New York: A reporter`s job figures among the
ten worst professions, alongside the likes of butchers,
waiters and dishwashers, as per a new study by the US-based
consultancy CareerCast, which has named a software engineer`s
occupation as the best for the year 2012.
The annual study has ranked a total of 200 jobs from best
to worst on the basis of five core criteria such as physical
demands, work environment, income, stress and hiring outlook.
It mostly covered the jobs in the US and is based on data
from the US Bureau of Labour Statistics and other government
Among the ten worst jobs, the study has named a newspaper
reporter`s occupation at the fifth position, after that of a
lumberjack, dairy farmer, enlisted military soldier and oil
Others in the ten worst jobs for 2012 include waiter/
waitress, meter reader, dishwasher, butcher and broadcaster.
"As the digital world continues to take over and provide
on-demand information, the need for print newspapers and daily
newscasts is diminishing. To be sure, both jobs once seemed
glamorous, but on-the-job stress, declining job opportunities
and income levels are what landed them on our worst Jobs
list," the report noted.
The study has also listed out ten most stressful jobs and
none of these occupations figure in the list of ten best jobs.
CareerCast has ranked enlisted soldier, firefighter,
airline pilot, military general, police officer, event
coordinator, public relations executive, senior corporate
executive, photo-journalist and taxi driver among the most
On the other hand, job of a software engineer has topped
the list in the best jobs category, followed by actuary, human
resources manager, dental hygienist and financial planner.
Software engineers earn a median income of more than
USD 88,000 with few physical demands and minimal stress, it
The report further said that those in the top categories
earn between USD 68,000 to USD 104,000 annually (Rs 30-50 lakh
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!