Reporter`s job 5th worst; software engineer`s best
New York: A reporter`s job figures among the
ten worst professions, alongside the likes of butchers,
waiters and dishwashers, as per a new study by the US-based
consultancy CareerCast, which has named a software engineer`s
occupation as the best for the year 2012.
The annual study has ranked a total of 200 jobs from best
to worst on the basis of five core criteria such as physical
demands, work environment, income, stress and hiring outlook.
It mostly covered the jobs in the US and is based on data
from the US Bureau of Labour Statistics and other government
Among the ten worst jobs, the study has named a newspaper
reporter`s occupation at the fifth position, after that of a
lumberjack, dairy farmer, enlisted military soldier and oil
Others in the ten worst jobs for 2012 include waiter/
waitress, meter reader, dishwasher, butcher and broadcaster.
"As the digital world continues to take over and provide
on-demand information, the need for print newspapers and daily
newscasts is diminishing. To be sure, both jobs once seemed
glamorous, but on-the-job stress, declining job opportunities
and income levels are what landed them on our worst Jobs
list," the report noted.
The study has also listed out ten most stressful jobs and
none of these occupations figure in the list of ten best jobs.
CareerCast has ranked enlisted soldier, firefighter,
airline pilot, military general, police officer, event
coordinator, public relations executive, senior corporate
executive, photo-journalist and taxi driver among the most
On the other hand, job of a software engineer has topped
the list in the best jobs category, followed by actuary, human
resources manager, dental hygienist and financial planner.
Software engineers earn a median income of more than
USD 88,000 with few physical demands and minimal stress, it
The report further said that those in the top categories
earn between USD 68,000 to USD 104,000 annually (Rs 30-50 lakh
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues