`Republicans to hold House of Representatives`
Washington: The Republican party will keep its majority in the US House of Representatives, the lower house of the US Congress, several US television networks projected on Tuesday evening based on returns in Congressional races nationwide.
Going into Election Day, Republicans held a 240-190 majority in the House and were widely expected to maintain that advantage after votes in the races for all 435 seats in the chamber are tallied.
Republicans took control of the House from the Democrats in a 2010 election that saw numerous hardline conservatives under the Tea Party banner sail into office on a wave of disenchantment with the administration of US President Barack Obama.
Democrats have accused the Republican majority in the House of refusing to cooperate with the White House in an effort to sweep Obama from office, while Republicans claim they are the last line of defence against an ever-expanding federal government.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!