Researchers treat paralysed monkey with stem cells
Tokyo: Japanese researchers said today they had used stem cells to restore partial mobility in a small monkey that had been paralysed from the neck down by a spinal injury.
"It is the world`s first case in which a small-size primate recovered from a spinal injury using stem cells," professor Hideyuki Okano of Tokyo`s Keio University said.
Okano`s research team, which earlier helped a mouse recover its mobility in a similar treatment, injected so-called induced pluripotent stem (iPS) cells into a paralysed marmoset, he said.
The team planted four types of genes into human skin cells to create the iPS cells, according to Kyodo News.
The injection was given on the ninth day after the injury, considered the most effective timing, and the monkey started to move its limbs again within two to three weeks,
"After six weeks, the animal had recovered to the level where it was jumping around," he said. "It was very close to the normal level."
"Its gripping strength on the forefeet also recovered to up to 80 percent."
Okano called the research project a major stride to pave the way for a similar medical technique to be used on humans.
Scientists say the use of human embryonic stem cells as a treatment for cancer and other diseases holds great promise, but the process has drawn fire from religious conservatives and others who oppose it.
Embryonic stem cell research is controversial because human embryos are destroyed in order to obtain the cells capable of developing into almost every tissue of the body.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report