Residents in Obama’s ancestral village party ‘election` night away
Washington: Hundreds of residents in the ancestral village of second term US presidential winner Barack Obama’s partied the night away before the election results were announced.
Hundreds of Kogelo residents were either dancing the night away or were wrapped in shawls and blankets while camping out patiently on plastic lawn chairs in front of large television screens, waiting for election results that weren’t expected to come in before 7 a.m. local time.
Obama’s late father grew up in Kogelo, while his step-grandmother, Sarah Obama, and other relatives still live here, ABC News reports.
“If Obama wins, this party could go on until Friday,” Nelly Misiko at the Kogelo Village Resort had said; where the village’s lively election-watch party was held.
According to the report, the hotel, recently built for the tourists who now come to Kogelo, is an example of how the historic 2008 election of the first U.S. president with African heritage has changed the village, and why people here are holding prayer vigils for his re-election.
Obama had written about his journey to Kogelo to explore his absent father’s family history in his best-selling memoir, “Dreams from My Father,” the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!