Reveal cops who distributed cash in police jeeps: CPI(M) to EC
Madurai: CPI(M)`s Tamil Nadu unit here on Wednesday asked the Election Commission to make public the names of the
police officials who were allegedly involved in transporting
money meant for voters.
Referring to the counter-affidavit filed by the EC in the
Madras High Court yesterday that it had received information
that police jeeps were being used to distribute money, CPI(M)
Tamil Nadu Unit secretary Ramakrishnan said the EC should come
out with details about the seizure made, and who all were
responsible for the same.
He said people were entitled to know who were responsible
for transporting the cash for the voters. "It should not be a
secret. It should be made public", he said.
Referring to Chief Minister M Karunanidhi`s charge that the
EC had imposed "excessive restrictions" in the run up to the
April 13 Assembly Elections, the CPI(M) leader said the DMK
chief was trying to counter the tide against the government
through his "intimidatory comments" against the EC.
The EC was checking vehicles and seizing money as part of
its duty, he said, adding it should intensify the searches and
ensure a free and fair election.
Ramakrishan said he was confident that distributing money
to voters would not work in the elections as the people had
been badly affected by the power cut, steep rise in the prices
of essential commodities and "total breakdown of law and
The closure of dyeing and bleaching units in Tiruppur and
the stagnation in farm sector would also work against the
government, he said.
Reacting to the Chief Minister`s claim that DMK would be
able to form the government independently, he said, "How can
the DMK, which is contesting in 119 seats, expect to get full
majority?" On the other hand, AIADMK, which is contesting in
160 seats, would form the government with a good majority, he
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference