Reveal cops who distributed cash in police jeeps: CPI(M) to EC
Madurai: CPI(M)`s Tamil Nadu unit here on Wednesday asked the Election Commission to make public the names of the
police officials who were allegedly involved in transporting
money meant for voters.
Referring to the counter-affidavit filed by the EC in the
Madras High Court yesterday that it had received information
that police jeeps were being used to distribute money, CPI(M)
Tamil Nadu Unit secretary Ramakrishnan said the EC should come
out with details about the seizure made, and who all were
responsible for the same.
He said people were entitled to know who were responsible
for transporting the cash for the voters. "It should not be a
secret. It should be made public", he said.
Referring to Chief Minister M Karunanidhi`s charge that the
EC had imposed "excessive restrictions" in the run up to the
April 13 Assembly Elections, the CPI(M) leader said the DMK
chief was trying to counter the tide against the government
through his "intimidatory comments" against the EC.
The EC was checking vehicles and seizing money as part of
its duty, he said, adding it should intensify the searches and
ensure a free and fair election.
Ramakrishan said he was confident that distributing money
to voters would not work in the elections as the people had
been badly affected by the power cut, steep rise in the prices
of essential commodities and "total breakdown of law and
The closure of dyeing and bleaching units in Tiruppur and
the stagnation in farm sector would also work against the
government, he said.
Reacting to the Chief Minister`s claim that DMK would be
able to form the government independently, he said, "How can
the DMK, which is contesting in 119 seats, expect to get full
majority?" On the other hand, AIADMK, which is contesting in
160 seats, would form the government with a good majority, he
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview
- Singh Is Bliing movie review: Watch it for Akshay Kumar!
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'