Revenue dept officials brief FM on problem areas in tax code
New Delhi: Senior Revenue Department officials, including those retired, on Tuesday gave a presentation to the Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee on the problem areas in the Draft Direct Taxes Code such as proposals on tax on savings and doing away with tax rebate on home loans.
The other problem areas in the draft Direct Taxes Code -- that will replace the age-old Income Tax Act--include the issues relating to the Minimum Alternate Tax (MAT) and taxation of foreign companies, sources said.
The meeting was also attended by members of the Central Board of Direct Taxes and other tax department officials.
The Draft Tax Code proposes to tax all savings schemes at the time of withdrawal by the subscriber, as against the current practice of exempting withdrawals in long-term saving schemes like Employees Provident Fund, General Provident Fund and Public Provident Fund.
However, the code is silent on the existing practice of giving tax rebate on housing loans, which many interpret as the proposal to do away with these tax concessions.
It also proposes imposing MAT on gross assets of the company rather than profits, and higher taxation on foreign companies.
Mukherjee had earlier given assurances that grievances related to the draft direct tax code would be addressed before a bill is tabled in Parliament.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed