Revenue dept officials brief FM on problem areas in tax code
New Delhi: Senior Revenue Department officials, including those retired, on Tuesday gave a presentation to the Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee on the problem areas in the Draft Direct Taxes Code such as proposals on tax on savings and doing away with tax rebate on home loans.
The other problem areas in the draft Direct Taxes Code -- that will replace the age-old Income Tax Act--include the issues relating to the Minimum Alternate Tax (MAT) and taxation of foreign companies, sources said.
The meeting was also attended by members of the Central Board of Direct Taxes and other tax department officials.
The Draft Tax Code proposes to tax all savings schemes at the time of withdrawal by the subscriber, as against the current practice of exempting withdrawals in long-term saving schemes like Employees Provident Fund, General Provident Fund and Public Provident Fund.
However, the code is silent on the existing practice of giving tax rebate on housing loans, which many interpret as the proposal to do away with these tax concessions.
It also proposes imposing MAT on gross assets of the company rather than profits, and higher taxation on foreign companies.
Mukherjee had earlier given assurances that grievances related to the draft direct tax code would be addressed before a bill is tabled in Parliament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...