Rift in Punjab Cong after Assembly poll debacle
New Delhi: Dissidence in Congress in
Punjab came to the fore in the wake of the party`s debacle in the
assembly polls with a former stat unit chief today demanding
an emergency meeting of the PCC to go into the causes.
In a statement, Virendra Kataria, former MP, said that
PCC chief Amarinder Singh should call such a meeting as Punjab
was the "most winnable state" for the party which has
witnessed a "humiliating defeat".
Wondering as to how the state leadership "squandered
victory assets" of the Punjab Congress, he apprehended that if
such a meeting is not held then the PCC President will only
offer to the party high command the explanation of defeat
"rather than an account of individual lapses".
"Let the Congress President be apprised by the entire
Punjab Congress instead of a Congress defeat report prepared
by the PCC Chief only," he said.
In Punjab, Congress wanted to ride the anti-incumbency
wave but was handed down a shock defeat by the ruling
Shiromani Akali Dal-BJP.
The defeat in Punjab was a setback for the party as the
leadership had gone to the extent of declaring senior leader
Amarinder Singh as the chief ministerial candidate, something
rare in Congress.
AICC has been quick to blame the "laxity and
overconfidence" of the state organisation for the poor result
which it dubbed as a "setback".
The defeat was all the more shocking as Punjab has the
tradition of never repeating the incumbent government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state