Rift in Punjab Cong after Assembly poll debacle
New Delhi: Dissidence in Congress in
Punjab came to the fore in the wake of the party`s debacle in the
assembly polls with a former stat unit chief today demanding
an emergency meeting of the PCC to go into the causes.
In a statement, Virendra Kataria, former MP, said that
PCC chief Amarinder Singh should call such a meeting as Punjab
was the "most winnable state" for the party which has
witnessed a "humiliating defeat".
Wondering as to how the state leadership "squandered
victory assets" of the Punjab Congress, he apprehended that if
such a meeting is not held then the PCC President will only
offer to the party high command the explanation of defeat
"rather than an account of individual lapses".
"Let the Congress President be apprised by the entire
Punjab Congress instead of a Congress defeat report prepared
by the PCC Chief only," he said.
In Punjab, Congress wanted to ride the anti-incumbency
wave but was handed down a shock defeat by the ruling
Shiromani Akali Dal-BJP.
The defeat in Punjab was a setback for the party as the
leadership had gone to the extent of declaring senior leader
Amarinder Singh as the chief ministerial candidate, something
rare in Congress.
AICC has been quick to blame the "laxity and
overconfidence" of the state organisation for the poor result
which it dubbed as a "setback".
The defeat was all the more shocking as Punjab has the
tradition of never repeating the incumbent government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das