RIL strikes oil off Gujarat coast
New Delhi: Mukesh Ambani-run Reliance Industries announced discovery of an oilfield 130 km from Ahmedabad in Gujarat, its second major find after
the offshore MA field in the Krishna Godavari basin.
Reliance discovered oil in the fifth well it drilled on the 635-square kilometer CB-ONN-2003/1 block in the Cambay basin, a company statement said but did not give reserves the field may hold.
The block was awarded to Reliance in the fifth round of bidding under the New Exploration Licensing Policy (NELP). The company holds 100 per cent participating interest in the block.
Reliance had previously found crude oil reserves in the predominately gas-rich KG D-6 block off the east coast. The MA field, which came into production in September last year, is currently producing around 11,000 barrels per day.
The fifth well on the Cambay onland block, CB10A-A1 was drilled to a depth of 1451 meters. It encountered about 15 meter reservoir and the well flowed 500 barrels of oil per day during conventional testing.
"This discovery is expected to open future potential within the block," Reliance said, adding the discovery has been named `Dhirubhai-43`.
"Commerciality of this discovery is being ascertained through more data gathering and analysis," the statement said. "3D Seismic data has been acquired over 80 per cent of the block area and 2D Seismic data has been acquired over the entire area."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday