Rio Ferdinand welcomes Indo-Pak football friendly
London: The upcoming Indo-Pak football friendly in UK has generated quite a buzz here, with star England and Manchester United defender terming it a major breakthrough for the sub-continental rivals.
"I am welcoming the India and Pakistan teams to the home of football," said Ferdinand.
"This is a major breakthrough for both the nations and I hope to see myself in India and Pakistan soon," the defender added.
Billed as the `Clash of the Titans`, the Asian sub-continent`s most powerful sides will meet on September 3 at the Pride Park Ground, Derby.
The match has received support from famous sportspersons in England.
"Football is one of the most popular sports amongst the Asian community in Britain and this match will prove to be very successful because of that," said WBA and IBF light-welterweight world champion Amir Khan.
"I`m sure these matches will also be very beneficial for relations between the two countries because sport plays an important role in helping to unify people," he added.
The presidents of the respective associations hailed the match as a crucial step in their respective development.
"Playing Pakistan is always special. I`m sure all sporting fans are eagerly looking forward to it," said AIFF chief Praful Patel.
Pakistan Football Federation president, Makhdoom Faisal said, "This match will definitely go a long way in promoting bilateral relations between the two countries. I wish everyone best of luck."
The English FA also backed this match to increase participation from the Asian community.
"I am really pleased to support this match which opens doors for aspiring Asian footballers in England giving them sense of national pride," said FA spokesperson Jonathan Mills.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead