Rise and fall of Scottish coastline
London: Hot rock flowing under the Earth`s crust caused Scotland`s coastline to rise and fall by hundreds of metres some 55 million years ago, according to a new study.
Global sea levels can change by more than 100 metres in only tens of thousands of years as land ice accumulates or melts. Now according to Bryan Lovell of the University of Cambridge and colleagues, evidence from Scotland reveals that changes in the Earth`s mantle may produce similarly dramatic changes in local sea levels, although on a slightly longer timescale.
The researchers have accumulated measurements from oil well cores and seismic imaging around the coast of Scotland.
These demonstrate that 55 million years ago, the western flank rose and fell by at least 490 metres within 2 million years or so.
A similar event seems to have occurred about a million years later on the eastern flank.
The team suggests that a pulse of hot, solid rock rose from a hotspot beneath Iceland and travelled east beneath the Earth`s crust.
Since the pulse was hotter than surrounding rock, it had a greater volume, lifting the land it passed under it.
"It`s as though a giant hand pushed the surface up and then after a while pulled it down again," The New Scientist quoted Lovell, as saying.
The study appears in the Journal of the Geological Society.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price