Rivaly between hockey bodies cause for declining standard
Jamshedpur: Former hockey Olympian Manohar Topno on Wednesday blamed lack of infrastructure and rivalry between the Indian Hockey Federation and Hockey India as a major cause for Indian hockey’s declining standard in the world stage.
Topno is the coach of the 18-member Jharkhand hockey team that left here for Bhopal to take part in the 1st senior national men’s hockey championship being hosted by Hockey India from Friday.
Topno, also a selection committee member of Hockey India, said meritorious players were being left out of the Indian team due to rivalry between the two organizations, even though Hockey India has been recognized by the World body.
Suggesting that the two bodies resolve their differences in the larger interest of the game as well as the country, a former right back Topno, who was a member of the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics Indian team, said Hockey India did not have adequate modern technology to monitor the games of leading countries, particularly the Europeans.
Citing an example, he said the coach of the Poland team called out a player, who was repeatedly missing opportunities to convert a penalty shot in the last World cup held at Delhi, during a brief break and pointed out his flaw with suggestions to correct it.
`` We do not have any such facility to improve our performance,`` he lamented.
He also regretted the lack of adequate infrastructure for the game and said the players of Hockey Jharkhand had to practice on a turf ground even though a world-standard astro-turf stadium was in existence in the state capital, Ranchi.
``The astro-turf stadium has become only a show-piece,`` he said.
The charges fixed by the authorities to avail the astro-turf facility was beyond Hockey Jharkhand`s reach, he admitted while accusing that the stadium was being rented out for all purposes included wedding ceremony but not for hockey.
Asked if India lacked talented coaches as it continued to rely on foreign coaches, Topno said, “We do not have a dearth of talented coaches, but we required foreign coaches because of fast changing techniques as well as rules of the game.``
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!