Rivaly between hockey bodies cause for declining standard
Jamshedpur: Former hockey Olympian Manohar Topno on Wednesday blamed lack of infrastructure and rivalry between the Indian Hockey Federation and Hockey India as a major cause for Indian hockey’s declining standard in the world stage.
Topno is the coach of the 18-member Jharkhand hockey team that left here for Bhopal to take part in the 1st senior national men’s hockey championship being hosted by Hockey India from Friday.
Topno, also a selection committee member of Hockey India, said meritorious players were being left out of the Indian team due to rivalry between the two organizations, even though Hockey India has been recognized by the World body.
Suggesting that the two bodies resolve their differences in the larger interest of the game as well as the country, a former right back Topno, who was a member of the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics Indian team, said Hockey India did not have adequate modern technology to monitor the games of leading countries, particularly the Europeans.
Citing an example, he said the coach of the Poland team called out a player, who was repeatedly missing opportunities to convert a penalty shot in the last World cup held at Delhi, during a brief break and pointed out his flaw with suggestions to correct it.
`` We do not have any such facility to improve our performance,`` he lamented.
He also regretted the lack of adequate infrastructure for the game and said the players of Hockey Jharkhand had to practice on a turf ground even though a world-standard astro-turf stadium was in existence in the state capital, Ranchi.
``The astro-turf stadium has become only a show-piece,`` he said.
The charges fixed by the authorities to avail the astro-turf facility was beyond Hockey Jharkhand`s reach, he admitted while accusing that the stadium was being rented out for all purposes included wedding ceremony but not for hockey.
Asked if India lacked talented coaches as it continued to rely on foreign coaches, Topno said, “We do not have a dearth of talented coaches, but we required foreign coaches because of fast changing techniques as well as rules of the game.``
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?