Rly sports stadium will help sports persons, says Ganguly
Kolkata: Former India captain Sourav Ganguly
today batted for Railway minister Mamata Banerjee`s ambitious
indoor stadium project in the city and said the facility would
help sports persons represent the country.
"I am personally very excited about the project," the ace
cricketer said addresing the gathering at the foundation
stone-laying ceremony for the stadium to be named after film
maestro Satyajit Ray at Behala here.
"I have seen the ground from very close quarters for the
last 10 years as this place is very near to my home. When I
was playing international cricket, it used to be an open
ground and I would practice here ... I am very happy as the
stadium will have indoor as well as outdoor facilities,"
The Satyajit Ray Railway Indoor Stadium will have an
athletic track to cater to outdoor sports as well.
Thanking Railways for promoting sport, the southpaw said
"I hope Kolkata sports persons from various fields benefit
from the stadium and get to represent India in future. For
sports persons, job security is very important and the
Railways Sports Promotion Board (RSPB) is ensuring that."
Sprint queen P T Usha, football greats Sailen Manna,
Samar (Badru) Banerjee, Syed Nayeemuddin were among those
present at the programme.
It was also attended by former cricketer Sambaran
Banerjee, swimmer Rashmi Sharma, India women`s cricket captain
Jhulan Goswami, Olympian archer Dola Banerjee and athletes
Sushmita Singha Roy and Soma Biswas.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan