Rly sports stadium will help sports persons, says Ganguly
Kolkata: Former India captain Sourav Ganguly
today batted for Railway minister Mamata Banerjee`s ambitious
indoor stadium project in the city and said the facility would
help sports persons represent the country.
"I am personally very excited about the project," the ace
cricketer said addresing the gathering at the foundation
stone-laying ceremony for the stadium to be named after film
maestro Satyajit Ray at Behala here.
"I have seen the ground from very close quarters for the
last 10 years as this place is very near to my home. When I
was playing international cricket, it used to be an open
ground and I would practice here ... I am very happy as the
stadium will have indoor as well as outdoor facilities,"
The Satyajit Ray Railway Indoor Stadium will have an
athletic track to cater to outdoor sports as well.
Thanking Railways for promoting sport, the southpaw said
"I hope Kolkata sports persons from various fields benefit
from the stadium and get to represent India in future. For
sports persons, job security is very important and the
Railways Sports Promotion Board (RSPB) is ensuring that."
Sprint queen P T Usha, football greats Sailen Manna,
Samar (Badru) Banerjee, Syed Nayeemuddin were among those
present at the programme.
It was also attended by former cricketer Sambaran
Banerjee, swimmer Rashmi Sharma, India women`s cricket captain
Jhulan Goswami, Olympian archer Dola Banerjee and athletes
Sushmita Singha Roy and Soma Biswas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra