Road mishaps claimed 162 lives in 2009 in Pondy
Puducherry: The Union Territory of Puducherry
recorded 162 fatal road accidents in 2009, with most victims
dying of head injuries, a top police official said.
Senior Superintendent of Police B Srikanth told reporters
here that there were a total of 2000 accidents in 2009, of
which 162 were fatal and around 1220 non fatal.
He said the deaths of vehicle riders was largely due to
riders not using helmets and urged them to do so
Srikanth said fatal road accidents were largely seen on
thoroughfares between Puducherry and Cuddalore, Villupuram and
Chennai on the East Coast Road segment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi