Road mishaps claimed 162 lives in 2009 in Pondy
Puducherry: The Union Territory of Puducherry
recorded 162 fatal road accidents in 2009, with most victims
dying of head injuries, a top police official said.
Senior Superintendent of Police B Srikanth told reporters
here that there were a total of 2000 accidents in 2009, of
which 162 were fatal and around 1220 non fatal.
He said the deaths of vehicle riders was largely due to
riders not using helmets and urged them to do so
Srikanth said fatal road accidents were largely seen on
thoroughfares between Puducherry and Cuddalore, Villupuram and
Chennai on the East Coast Road segment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister