Road-weary Fulham hold Hamburg in first leg
Hamburg: Fulham shrugged off the effects of 17 hours travelling on a coach to hold Hamburg SV to a 0-0 draw in the first leg of their Europa League semi-final.
Hamburg did almost all of the attacking but were denied by visiting goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer who was in inspired form, denying Jonathan Pitroipa, Piotr Trochowski and David Jarolim in quick succession midway through the second half.
English Premier League Fulham, playing the 17th match of a Europa campaign which began in Lithuania in July, were forced to make the 1,000-km journey by road because of the widespread disruption to flights across Europe.
The trip included a three-hour delay in traffic on a German motorway.
Hamburg, who will host the final on May 12, began the tie without striker Mladen Petric who was recovering from a groin injury.
"It was not such a bad result, if we score once in the return (next Thursday) they must score two and I think they will have to come out and attack more than they did today," said the Croatian who came on as a second-half substitute.
Ruud van Nistelrooy had an early chance for the Germans when he burst into the penalty area but Schwarzer began an impressive performance by smothering the ball.
Trochowski went close with a 25-metre effort before Zoltan Gera had Fulham`s best effort, a 20-metre shot which took a deflection.
Hamburg had their best spell in the second half when Pitroipa produced a snap-shot from a narrow angle which Schwarzer pushed over.
The Australian did well again to get his fingertips to Trochowski`s dipping 30-metre drive and stop a Jarolim effort which went through a crowd of players.
Joris Mathijsen then foiled a Fulham counter-attack when he cut out Gera`s pass to Clint Dempsey.
Petric added some bite to Hamburg`s attack, forcing Schwarzer to make another difficult save before narrowly missing the target with a long-range effort.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi