Rohit Bal undergoes emergency angioplasty
New Delhi: Ace designer Rohit Bal, who suffered a massive heart attack on Tuesday morning, underwent an emergency angioplasty late last night after he complained of fresh chest pain.
Reports state that the doctors had to rush the procedure as a major part of Bal’s muscle was left damaged by the cardiac arrest. Talking about Bal’s condition, chairman of interventional cardiology at Medanta Dr Praveen Chandra, who conducted the angioplasty, said, "We realized that if we didn’t conduct the angioplasty immediately, Rohit Bal’s heart would suffer more damage."
As to what caused the heart attack, doctors said that one of Bal’s arteries – the left anterior descending (LAD), was blocked almost 90%. A thrombosuction to clear up the artery was then conducted on Bal following which he was administered a clot dissolving medicine to clear up the remaining partial block. A stent was then put into the artery. LAD supplies blood to the front of the left side of the heart.
Another artery – the right coronary, was also found to be blocked 100%. But doctors left that untouched since they found that the body had already created a bypass channel.
An intra aortic balloon pump has also been put on Bal which will support the fashion designer’s heart in the next 48 hours and help it recover faster. The balloon will increase blood flow to the heart muscle and decrease the heart’s workload through a process called counterpulsation.
"We will have to be watchful over the next 24 hours. He is on the intra aortic balloon pump and blood thinning medication. The attack was very severe," said Dr Chandra added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH