Rohit Bal undergoes emergency angioplasty
New Delhi: Ace designer Rohit Bal, who suffered a massive heart attack on Tuesday morning, underwent an emergency angioplasty late last night after he complained of fresh chest pain.
Reports state that the doctors had to rush the procedure as a major part of Bal’s muscle was left damaged by the cardiac arrest. Talking about Bal’s condition, chairman of interventional cardiology at Medanta Dr Praveen Chandra, who conducted the angioplasty, said, "We realized that if we didn’t conduct the angioplasty immediately, Rohit Bal’s heart would suffer more damage."
As to what caused the heart attack, doctors said that one of Bal’s arteries – the left anterior descending (LAD), was blocked almost 90%. A thrombosuction to clear up the artery was then conducted on Bal following which he was administered a clot dissolving medicine to clear up the remaining partial block. A stent was then put into the artery. LAD supplies blood to the front of the left side of the heart.
Another artery – the right coronary, was also found to be blocked 100%. But doctors left that untouched since they found that the body had already created a bypass channel.
An intra aortic balloon pump has also been put on Bal which will support the fashion designer’s heart in the next 48 hours and help it recover faster. The balloon will increase blood flow to the heart muscle and decrease the heart’s workload through a process called counterpulsation.
"We will have to be watchful over the next 24 hours. He is on the intra aortic balloon pump and blood thinning medication. The attack was very severe," said Dr Chandra added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!