Rollback annual cap on subsidised gas cylinders: Swaraj
Vadodara: Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj on Saturday demanded immediate rollback of Centre`s decision to cap annual supply of domestic gas cylinders, saying the move was hurting the common people.
"This is an inappropriate decision taken even as prices are skyrocketing. I appeal to the government to withdraw this decision," she said addressing a campaign rally at Sama locality on Saturday night.
BJP candidate Jitu Sukhadiya is contesting from this Assembly seat.
Swaraj said the common people will have no option but to shell out Rs 900 per cylinder once the annual limit was exhausted.
She alleged that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress president Sonia Gandhi have "failed" to rein in inflation.
Swaraj dismissed the statistics provided by Oil Minister Veerappa Moily wherein the assessment was that even with the cap of six subsidised LPG cylinders, per household per year, the government still had a subsidy burden of Rs 36,000 crore on its oil import bill.
"This amount pales in comparison to 2G scam, CWG scam and Coalgate involving several lakh crores," she alleged.
Praising Gujarat government for achieving agricultural growth rate of 11 percent, Swaraj alleged that Centre put spanner in Modi government`s plan to lay out gas pipeline which could have ensured gas supply to 20 lakh families in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- OROP issue: With no breakthrough in sight, Army veterans may meet PM Narendra Modi today
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police