Romans slaughtered prostitutes` babies in England
London: A farmer`s field near an ancient Roman villa excavated in Buckinghamshire has yielded a long-buried secret - it was a graveyard for prostitutes` babies slaughtered by the Romans.
The site was an ancient brothel and the 97 baby skeletons found there could have been the unwanted babies of prostitutes, say experts.
The Yewden villa at Hambleden in Buckinghamshire, 80 km from London, was excavated 100 years ago and identified as a high status Roman villa, according to records by Alfred Heneage Cocks, an archaeologist who reported his findings in 1921. It was, however, covered by a wheat field years later.
Romans allegedly considered infanticide as less shocking than it is today, and as there was no effective contraception method available in those days, the Romans may have simply murdered the children as soon as they were born, a newspaper reported.
Measurements of the bones have shown that all the babies died at around 40 weeks` gestation, very soon after birth. If they had died from natural causes, they would have been of different ages, they said.
"The only explanation you keep coming back to is that it`s got to be a brothel. Today, in the rolling countryside, there is nothing to suggest it was the scene of mass killings," Jill Eyers, an archaeologist, was quoted as saying.
Alfred Heneage Cocks gave precise locations for the infant bodies, which were hidden under walls or buried under courtyards. His original report was rediscovered recently, along with 300 boxes of photographs, artefacts, pottery and bones, at the Buckinghamshire County Museum.
"There is no other site that would yield anything like the 97 infant burials," said Simon Mays, a skeletal biologist at English Heritage`s Centre for Archaeology.
A similar find was made in Ashkelon, Israel, in 1988, where skeletons of 100 Roman-era babies were discovered in a sewer beneath a bath house.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!