Ronaldo vents fury at Barcelona favouritism
Barcelona: Real Madrid`s Portuguese star Cristiano Ronaldo repeated coach Jose Mourinho`s claims that bitter rivals Barcelona were favoured by referees here on Tuesday after a 1-1 draw in their Champions League semi-final second leg match saw Barca progress 3-1 on aggregate.
The former Manchester United player - who was outshone by Barcelona`s two-time world player of the year Lionel Messi over the two legs - was especially incensed by the decision of Belgian referee Frank De Bleeckere to rule out a Gonzalo Higuain goal early in the second-half.
De Bleeckere - one of several referees to be targeted by Mourinho`s outburst following the first leg last week - decided that Ronaldo had fouled Javier Mascherano in the lead-up to the goal, though, it was harsh as Barca defender Gerard Pique had pushed Ronaldo initially.
Had the goal stood it would have given Real a 1-0 lead in the game and a real chance of progressing at Barca`s expense.
"It (trying to overhaul Barcelona`s first leg lead) was Mission Impossible 4," said the 26-year-old, who scored the only goal to secure Madrid the Kings Cup against Barcelona late last month.
"We knew what was going to happen. We were used to it after the first leg. Higuain`s goal was fine.”
"Once again we have to live with that. (On the lead-up to the goal) Pique pushed me and I fell on top of Mascherano, who when he played in England (for West Ham and Liverpool) would not have fallen to the ground like that, but here he does it like everybody else.”
"There was nothing wrong with the goal, that could have altered the course of the match but the referee didn`t want to see it that way.”
"Those who know abut football know that Barcelona are very well protected. We just have to live with these injustices," added the Portuguese.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days