Ronjan Sodhi tops double trap world rankings
New Delhi: Champion double-trap shooter and Asian Games gold medalist Ronjan Sodhi on Monday grabbed the top slot in the International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) world rankings.
Ronjan, who was earlier ranked second behind American Joshua Richmond by three points, attained the summit by virtue of his bronze medal-winning feat at the World Cup earlier this month in Maribor, Slovenia.
Ronjan is currently the only Indian shooter to be ranked world No. 1 in the ISSF rankings.
It was Ronjan`s consistency in the past one year that has assured the world No.1 spot for the Punjab shooter in double trap.
He is also the reigning World Cup final champion, where his impeccable score of 192/200 fetched him a gold medal last year.
He followed that up with two silver medals at the Commonwealth Games in New Delhi last year, before clinching the silver in Guangzhou.
"It`s a great feeling to be ranked world No 1. It was one of my dreams to be at the top of the ISSF rankings and now that I have reached here I plan to look forward towards my other goals and ambitions. The journey hasn`t been easy but my determination was what kept me going and the last three years
have given me a lot to smile.
"I now want to concentrate on my game for the 2012 Olympics as a medal in the Olympics is the greatest achievement for any sportsman," and elated Ronjan said.
Ronjan, who did not win any medal till 2007 at any of the World Cups, showcased his ability to shoot under pressure last year by winning three gold medals.
The new world No. 1 is currently in Italy training for the Shotgun World Championships, scheduled for September 2011 at Belgrade.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley