Rooney puts best foot forward for United
London: Wayne Rooney let his feet do the talking as he capped a superb all-round display with the only goal at Chelsea to give Manchester United the clear advantage in their Champions League quarter-final.
Rooney faces a two-game domestic ban for swearing into a TV camera after scoring against West Ham United on Saturday but he was the consummate professional in the 1-0 United win at Stamford Bridge.
He side footed past Petr Cech after 24 minutes following a perfect pull-back by Ryan Giggs to send United confidently into next Tuesday`s return at Old Trafford, where they have been formidable all season.
The goal was the icing on a particularly tasty cake for the England striker, who looked sharp, committed and absolutely up for the job in hand despite the latest off-field distraction.
"His performance was tremendous, he is now scoring more regularly," United manager Alex Ferguson told reporters after the re-run of the 2008 final when his men were also victorious, after penalties.
"Wayne was in tremendous form. Excellent, absolutely superb. (His) work rate, desire to play is marvellous. He got a lot of abuse tonight, he got a lot of late tackles on him but he got up and played.
"It shows the courage of the player. He takes great credit."
Chelsea will feel aggrieved that they are not travelling north level at 1-1 after the Spanish referee Alberto Undiano Mallenco ignored a strong stoppage-time penalty claim when Patrice Evra brought down Ramires.
"Everyone saw what happened -- you can see it clearly on the TV -- but the most important person (the referee) didn`t see it," said Chelsea keeper Cech.
Chelsea should be more concerned with their own frailties, however, as they struggled to impose themselves.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram