Rooney puts best foot forward for United
London: Wayne Rooney let his feet do the talking as he capped a superb all-round display with the only goal at Chelsea to give Manchester United the clear advantage in their Champions League quarter-final.
Rooney faces a two-game domestic ban for swearing into a TV camera after scoring against West Ham United on Saturday but he was the consummate professional in the 1-0 United win at Stamford Bridge.
He side footed past Petr Cech after 24 minutes following a perfect pull-back by Ryan Giggs to send United confidently into next Tuesday`s return at Old Trafford, where they have been formidable all season.
The goal was the icing on a particularly tasty cake for the England striker, who looked sharp, committed and absolutely up for the job in hand despite the latest off-field distraction.
"His performance was tremendous, he is now scoring more regularly," United manager Alex Ferguson told reporters after the re-run of the 2008 final when his men were also victorious, after penalties.
"Wayne was in tremendous form. Excellent, absolutely superb. (His) work rate, desire to play is marvellous. He got a lot of abuse tonight, he got a lot of late tackles on him but he got up and played.
"It shows the courage of the player. He takes great credit."
Chelsea will feel aggrieved that they are not travelling north level at 1-1 after the Spanish referee Alberto Undiano Mallenco ignored a strong stoppage-time penalty claim when Patrice Evra brought down Ramires.
"Everyone saw what happened -- you can see it clearly on the TV -- but the most important person (the referee) didn`t see it," said Chelsea keeper Cech.
Chelsea should be more concerned with their own frailties, however, as they struggled to impose themselves.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days