Rooney ready to start 2011-12 season with a bang
London: Star striker Wayne Rooney is determined to start the new season ``with a bang`` - by putting Manchester City in their place in Sunday``s Community Shield shootout.
The Manchester United striker insists that the prospect of a fiercely contested derby before the Premier League campaign gets underway has given pre-season training an extra edge.
"You couldn`t get better motivation to start the season with a bang. It`s a great way to start pre- season training, knowing at the end of the hard work, before the games begin, there`s a Manchester derby. Playing City in the Community Shield is the best way to start,” the Sun quoted Rooney, as saying.
That proved the springboard for City to lift their first piece of silverware in 35 years as they disposed of Stoke in the final.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened
- PM Narendra Modi's gift on Maha Shivaratari: A 112-foot face of Lord Shiva - Read details