Rooney ready to start 2011-12 season with a bang
London: Star striker Wayne Rooney is determined to start the new season ``with a bang`` - by putting Manchester City in their place in Sunday``s Community Shield shootout.
The Manchester United striker insists that the prospect of a fiercely contested derby before the Premier League campaign gets underway has given pre-season training an extra edge.
"You couldn`t get better motivation to start the season with a bang. It`s a great way to start pre- season training, knowing at the end of the hard work, before the games begin, there`s a Manchester derby. Playing City in the Community Shield is the best way to start,” the Sun quoted Rooney, as saying.
That proved the springboard for City to lift their first piece of silverware in 35 years as they disposed of Stoke in the final.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Stick to my statement that Salman Khan killed Chinkara, says 'missing' driver
- Eye on China? India to buy four P-8I aircraft from US for maritime surveillance over Indian Ocean Region
- Terrorist captured in J&K's Kupwara district is Pakistani national from Lahore: Report
- No question of tampering with samples of shot putter Inderjeet Singh: NADA boss
- New Israeli settlement plans `provocative and counterproductive`: US