Rooney to sue News of the World over leaks
London: Ace striker Wayne Rooney plans to sue the tabloid News of the World for hacking his phone after it broke revelations of his romps with a hooker.
Manchester law firm Hill Dickinson announced that the footballer and his agent Paul Stretford to seek damages had hired it.
Police told Rooney that the Sunday tabloid’s disgraced private eye Glenn Mulcaire targeted him.
At a meeting with two detectives, Rooney was shown extracts from Mulcaire’s notes that appeared to show that the voicemails had been intercepted.
It is not known what information, if any, was gleaned from the alleged hacking, a daily reports.
But last September the newspaper broke the story of Rooney’s sordid romps with 1,200-pound a-night escort Jenny Thompson.
The vice girl’s revelations that he had paid her for sex while wife Coleen was pregnant with now 20-month-old Kai nearly broke up the couple’s marriage.
The footballer, currently on United’s pre-season tour of the US, revealed on Twitter three months ago he feared his phone had been hacked into.
He wrote: “Scotland Yard detectives came to see me earlier and showed me some documents. Looks like a newspaper have hacked into my phone. Big surprise.’’
He put off legal action until the end of the season, which saw United crowned Premier League champs, the daily reports.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Is it Hardik Patel in this viral MMS Sex Video?