Rooney to sue News of the World over leaks
London: Ace striker Wayne Rooney plans to sue the tabloid News of the World for hacking his phone after it broke revelations of his romps with a hooker.
Manchester law firm Hill Dickinson announced that the footballer and his agent Paul Stretford to seek damages had hired it.
Police told Rooney that the Sunday tabloid’s disgraced private eye Glenn Mulcaire targeted him.
At a meeting with two detectives, Rooney was shown extracts from Mulcaire’s notes that appeared to show that the voicemails had been intercepted.
It is not known what information, if any, was gleaned from the alleged hacking, a daily reports.
But last September the newspaper broke the story of Rooney’s sordid romps with 1,200-pound a-night escort Jenny Thompson.
The vice girl’s revelations that he had paid her for sex while wife Coleen was pregnant with now 20-month-old Kai nearly broke up the couple’s marriage.
The footballer, currently on United’s pre-season tour of the US, revealed on Twitter three months ago he feared his phone had been hacked into.
He wrote: “Scotland Yard detectives came to see me earlier and showed me some documents. Looks like a newspaper have hacked into my phone. Big surprise.’’
He put off legal action until the end of the season, which saw United crowned Premier League champs, the daily reports.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India