Rotary India to arrange 5,000 heart surgeries for poor kids
Kolkata: Rotary India Humanity Foundation, an arm of Rotary International, will pump in Rs.75 crore over the next three years for 5,000 surgeries on under-privileged children suffering heart diseases in the country.
Disclosing this at the launch of the Foundation`s programme "Saving Little Hearts", Rotary International president Kalyan Banerjee said the number of surgeries may also reach 7,500 within the three-year period.
"We are committed to doing at least 5,000 heart surgeries over the next three years, and most probably we will take this number up to 7,500," he said.
The programme has been formulated and designed to ease the suffering and give normal life to children suffering from congenital heart diseases.
"Among the children in need for urgent medical treatment, 60,000 to 90,000 need immediate surgery to stay alive. Unfortunately, most of these cases are among those children who are below the poverty line and cannot avail of these expensive surgeries.
"With each of these surgeries costing between Rs. 1,00,000 to Rs.2,50,000 and the parents generally earning about Rs.3,000 monthly, the surgeries remain beyond their reach," he said.
The next three years will witness a fund output of Rs. 215 crores, including the money allotted for the programme "Saving Little Hearts".
"Besides the heart surgeries, we are also concentrating on other areas in healthcare, education, environment, empowerment, disaster management and polio eradication," said Rotary International director Shekhar Mehta.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: All seats declared - BJP emerges as biggest gainer, bags 81 seats; Shiv Sena gets 84
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Big setback for Shiv Sena as BJP bags 81 seats in BMC
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway